Toggle Contrast

Private Fostering

If you are under the age of 16 (or under 18 if disabled) and you are being cared for, and provided with accommodation, for 28 days or more by someone that is not your parent, guardian, brother, sister, step-parent, grandparent, or the brother or sister of your parent, then you are being privately fostered and the person looking after you is called a private foster carer.

The law says that if you are going to live with a private foster carer Children’s Services must be informed because they have to ensure that the person going to care for you is able to do so and hear your views on whether or not you are happy and safe whilst staying there. You can read more about private fostering by following this link –

Tell someone about it…

  • Childline –
  • In Hounslow you can speak to a social worker – Tel: 020 8583 6600 (option 2). Out of hours: After 5pm weekdays or weekends phone 020 8583 2222 and ask to speak to the duty social worker